Monday, March 31, 2008

Stepping off

Last Thursday I had an opportunity to enjoy a classic Queenstown activity. Here's a hint:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Brilliant!

This is the Nevis Highwire Bungy, 134m (440ft) above the Nevis River in a gorge near Queenstown. They've built a pod suspended by cables above the river and have a little tram car that shuttles people out to the pod itself.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
The bungy pod, the gorge, and the river far below

Part of the pod has a see-through floor. One terrified girl was even stepping over this part of the floor!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
That's a person way down there

I trusted that it was a safe endeavor and was certainly excited, but never felt scared. That being said, it looked like a LOOOOONNNGGG way down! They count down from 5 but they don't push anyone off; I could tell it was pretty tough for a few people to step off.

I've stood on terrain in the summertime that I've stood on strapped to my snowboard in the winter. No big deal in the winter; I've found myself terrified without the proper tools in hand in the summer. As such, I don't know that I'd have been able to stand on the platform without being harnessed to the cords, but I did it without a second thought all harnessed up.

5...4...3...2...1...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
See ya!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Big dive out!

The initial fall is 7-8 seconds. The river came at me awfully fast! And the feeling of the bungy cords loading up and slowing me down as the river got closer and closer was awfully cool. After two bounces they send the winch down and it's time to get a closer look at the sides of the gorge on the way up.

Of course, it wouldn't be complete without video:



Many thanks to Evil E for the hookup and to the whole crew for taking care of me. I'll get to do another one at the historic Kawarau bridge either this week or next, and I'm really looking forward to it!

Past Detritus