Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Akaroa by Night

After my run up Purple Peak, I hobbled down to the other group guest house for a pre-wedding BBQ. On the long-ish walk there along the waterfront, I stopped for a couple photos that felt like they were worth my time:


Shorebirds


Slow growth

The party was a great chance to catch up with people I hadn't seen in 5 years; truly an awesome privilege. As was inevitable, the flow of food eventually slowed to a trickle and was replaced by a swelling flow of beer. Latching onto that opportunity, I excused myself for a few minutes to make some photos.


Andy cools his feet (geek note: this was taken almost exactly 2 hours after sunset, and there's still enough sun to light the horizon and the clouds...)

The skies in Akaroa are exceptionally clear. Not only is there very little atmospheric pollution, but light pollution is also minimal. The confluence of these two factors generally means that pointing a camera towards the sky is a good idea.


Sailboats sway in the harbor

By the time I realized that the night sky was officially Going Off, the party had shifted into high gear. I may have treated myself to one last beer, but eventually couldn't resist the pull of gathering some more photons.


Rocks, water, tree, and stars


Milky Way's swath

The long walk back home got a whole lot longer as opportunities to point camera skyward kept arising.


Akaroa Head Lighthouse


Whale pots

Even though the walk home took twice as long as the walk there, it was well worth it. Further, the crew was still kicking around having "one last one," which sounded like a pretty good idea, too.


Nightcap

-

No comments:

Past Detritus