Wednesday, July 24, 2013

High Water Line

So I make it to Nelson and get to spend a couple awesome days visiting my cousin Andrew, his wife Jennie, and their lovely girls Ella and Maya.

Andrew's a keen runner, so I am happy to head out with him after a day off after my little mistake in Akaroa, but the legs simply aren't having it. For the second time in my life, I walk home from a run, this time after only making it about a mile. I have something really wrong with my right quad, and cooperation levels are at an all-time low. Andrew is certainly still gloating about leaving me for dust.

Thus, I know that my gleeful running camp is over, but knowing to not do anything stupid(er) is a step in the right direction. Also, it's raining torrentially in Nelson, so hanging out and catching up with the fam sounds way better anyway.

These biblical rains coincide cruelly with the year's highest tides, which already on their own intrude into the waterfront neighborhoods. Andrew takes me for a guided tour of Places Water Shouldn't Be, which turns out to be a nice way to fill the gaps between Snack Time, Coffee Time, and Beer Time.


High tides usually come into this neighborhood...


...But usually not this far...


And this is supposed to be a docile creek (I think it's Maitai Creek?)

Andrew and Jennie claim up and down that Nelson is super beautiful and that it rarely rains like this there, but there's nary a break in three days, so I have NO reason to believe them. Guess I'll just have to go back :)

-

No comments:

Past Detritus