Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Sightsee by bike

I've decided to come back to the US on June 3rd, and I'm already getting wistful about leaving this amazing place. So I spent some time on my poor, neglected (OK, not really) bike last Wednesday, and managed to enjoy some Central Otago sights on what may have been one of the last good weather days of the season.

It never got particularly warm, but the sun was shining all day, so I was happy.

Made a stop at the Amisfield Winery at Lake Hayes on my way out of town. It's hosting an exhibition of kinetic sculpture by a guy named Phil Price. His sculptures are all wind-powered, and they're made of steel and hand-laid carbon fiber. He employs some good engineering to make everything run smoothly, and he does tons and tons of balancing and sanding and whatnot by hand to get exactly the motion he wants.

Unfortunately for the sculptures, there wasn't a breath of wind. This was, however, good for biking, so I wasn't about to wait around for a gale to storm through. Here are some stationary shots of a few cool pieces:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Phil Price kinetic sculpture

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Phil Price kinetic sculpture

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Phil Price kinetic sculpture

Our days are getting really short really fast lately, so I didn't dawdle too long and headed towards Cromwell. I made a quick pit-stop at the Kawarau Bridge and watched a couple bungy jumps. Here are two young brothers, one eager, one not so much, doing a tandem jump just after they got a taste of the river:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Very wet

It was nearly 1pm by now and I had a long way to go in the remaining 6 hours before dark, so I made steady progress through our wine country directly to the bakery in Cromwell for a snack, then directly to the ice cream shop in Wanaka for a hokey pokey waffle cone. These little rewards make it all worthwhile!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Gorgeous day in Wanaka

Had to keep going; only about 3 hours until it'd be pitch black. I stopped in Cardrona for a Red Bull and started my climb of the Crown Range 90 miles into the day...

Made it over the top just fine, had a blast coming down the Queenstown side, and rolled in at 6:40, 20 minutes before dark. 115 glorious miles of sightseeing on a warm fall day; can't be much wrong with that!

Past Detritus