Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Redemption

Remember all that stuff I wrote about in the last post about consolation and backing away and waiting 'til next year? Well, that changed.

Long story: After getting home Saturday and stewing for a while, I decided that the conditions in Sullivan Chute were indeed passable, and that the mental consequences of letting it go outweighed the possible physical consequences in the line itself. So I went back. And remembered the intervalometer, which works just fine when it's not sitting on my bed. And got there at a better time in the morning. And set up a different shot. And set my head straight.

Short story: Consolation? Fuck that. Drrrrrrropping!

Sunday:


Self portrait


The only reason anybody knows what it's called. The origin of this line is a mystery.

I'll admit to not riding it gracefully, as I had to weasel down around a couple big loose rocks before pointing it straight for the exit air. Even though I still went from Zero to Not Zero rather rapidly, that weaseling made the exit smaller and I knuckled on the bergschrund below the drop, which I was hoping to clear easily. To give a sense for the speed, my camera was firing once a second, and there's just this one frame that includes me riding... I don't want to be in the business of claiming the steepness without verifying it, but DAMN.

I think I'd like to go back when there's more snow.

-

6 comments:

cheryl said...

WOW! nice shot!

Unknown said...

and maybe with some friends for safety and hard core claiming purposes.

Anonymous said...

awesome shot man.

Eliot said...

Josh- yes, some comrades would be nice out there. just had an itch to scratch...

Eliot said...

Cheryl and Sean- thanks!

Spencer Jones said...

Holy hell! Great shot and definitely a scary leap down.

Past Detritus