Monday, September 9, 2013

AZ Part 6: Hoodoos

After a recuperating nap, then a delicious dinner, and then playing with the menagerie, Chris kindly took us to one of his backyard attractions; a whopping 20ish-minute drive got us here as the day faded and walking became precarious; the drop to the valley floor was enough that it probably woulda hurt.

I'd found some hoodoos before; in France and New Zealand, to be exact, and both of those were stumbled upon. However, Chris' gleeful exploitation of the Arizona variety had done a good job of convincing me that I needed to see some desert hoodoos before I turned old.

Even though that ship has sailed, I was still like a kid in a candy store upon our arrival here. Pre-flight checklist as follows:

Crutches: stashed in the car; SO over it, I'll hobble
Murphy: sick and curled up in the back seat
Camera: attached to any of a selection of dusty tilt-shift lenses
Strobes: fucking blaaaaaaasting

Save for the sick girlfriend, the rest of that checklist is a pretty fair swipe at how to guarantee a good time after dark, at least in my old age. Anyhow, enough babbling: on to the fun stuff.


Oh hi there; I'm a hoodoo


Last light

Basically, it was really cool and all fun 'n games, and then the nearly-full moon rose, bathing the landscape with the kind of light my strobes could only ever dream about. Long night inevitable!


Alien landscape


Yeah, some shadows would be cool


Peekaboo

Mondo thanks to Chris for being an Expert Organic Strobe Fixturing Device, which mostly necessitated ignoring his own photos for the night. My photo-ADD was in full swing and he was mighty tolerant of it all.

Hoping to drop Burning Man photos on you vampires loyal readers tomorrow, which should be a worthy distraction from the long list of AZ stuff I've got in the hopper.

-


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. AND photos from the man tomorrow? Awesome.

Past Detritus